In the last few days, we have learned more about Robert F. Smith, leadership speaker and Austin billionaire who quietly announced at the 2019 Morehouse College commencement that he was paying off the student loans of each and every one of the 400 graduates. There was shock and then sheer exuberance at the realization that this tremendous financial burden would be lifted.This generous gift will change the lives of these graduates who can feel free to move ahead in their careers without the burden of financial debt.
So who is this man who performed such a generous gesture? There isn’t a ton on line about him but what videos and clips exist reveal a person who doesn’t want the spotlight except when he must stand in it. This makes me wonder if Robert Smith may be introverted in temperament. Introverts shy away from lots of attention unless it serves a purpose..
- He believes in having grit,…calling someone each day for 5 months and finalizing materializing in something what you want was an example he shared.
- Discover the joy of figuring things out. “Fight through those problems.
- He admired James Bond growing up.
- He builds and develop people in his company, Vista Equity Partners.
- He is a deep thinker as evidenced in his interviews. A technology and business background supports this.
- He gives to many causes, In addition to Morehousethe NY Times reports that “Cornell renamed its School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering after Mr. Smith, and he has made major gifts to the National Museum of African-American History and Culture and other cultural institutions. “
- He seized opportunities in each position he was in at Kraft, Goldman Sachs and Bell Labs before he founded his company.
- He believes in the importance of studying. “You can make more money being smart than being strong or fast.” No one else can take intellectual property from you.
Robert F. Smith has stayed under the radar until now. The NY Times reported, “Though he shunned the spotlight for many years, he has recently embraced a more public role, speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, and making major charitable contributions.”
Mr. Smith opened his heart and his purse. Whether he is an introvert or not may be revealed. What is certain, is that this leadership speaker has changed the course of hundreds of lives.